Job Summary: Applicants with a positive attitude and excited about introducing kids to the love of trail sports and the responsible stewardship of singletrack are highly encouraged to apply. Position requires prior trail crew experience, attention to detail, experience coaching or mentoring youth, and skills in carpentry and physical labor. Additionally, position requires the ability to lift 50 lbs unassisted and 100 lbs assisted, safely operate hand tools, drive a 4×4 truck and trailer as well as do manual labor in hot conditions. Due to the potential for extreme heat in the middle of the day and mountain weather events, position may require early mornings and/or evening work.
- Successfully complete trail construction projects at The Nature Connection headquarters in Hotchkiss as well as projects around Delta County
- Work alongside, mentor and supervise the ‘Wilder Bunch’ – a trail crew made up of high school students (15-18 year olds) in building singletrack mountain biking and hiking trails.
- 18 and older
- Drivers license with clean record
- Trail crew experience (two seasons preferred)
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- S212 Chainsaw Training and/or Forest Service Crosscut Certification
- Wilderness First Aid, CPR or other medical training
- Experience working for or with the Conservation Corps, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service
- Experience in tool and equipment maintenance (sharpening, sanding, oiling, re-handling)
- Experience on 4WD roads in remote areas
Location: Report to The Nature Connection HQ in Hotchkiss
Job Positions: 2 openings available
Compensation: $13-$18 per hour depending on experience, responsibilities and qualifications. Schedule can be negotiated with TNC Directors but typically is 40 hour weeks (either four 10 hour days or five 8 hour days) with training starting in May. Management of student trail crew for 6 weeks in June – early July.
- Resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Three professional references
- Top candidates will be selected for an interview by TNC Directors