We’re building a community of people and organizations who want to eliminate the barriers to getting outside. Join us in this endeavor!
We’re always looking for volunteers!
- Are you a cross country skier? Our Skis For Kids Program appreciates volunteers who can have fun with students on the trail and assist our staff by organizing ski gear during field trips.
- We need extra hands helping maintain our ski and bike fleet at The Nature Connection building in Hotchkiss.
- Our Learn to Bike Program is in need of shop help and school site instruction for the spring.
Looking for other ways to donate to get kids outside?
- “The Wilder Bunch” our high school trail crew, is in need of a 1/2 ton work truck and trailer (dump or enclosed.) Contact Ben Graves to discuss how you can donate or sell us your vehicle to help us expand our reach and maintain more trails in the community.
- Tools: Our trail crew could always use more shovels, wheelbarrows, picks and other working tools.
- Outdoor Gear. Every spring we host an outdoor gear swap as a fundraiser for programs. We are particularly looking for gently-used gear with resale value like working bikes, tents, XC ski equipment and outdoor clothing.
- Our camp locations are in need of an ice machine, color laser printer and working refrigerator.
- Other ideas- contact Ben Graves with any ideas or suggestions.
All donations are tax deductible.
“I volunteer because I like to be able to show the students the beauty of cross country skiing and being able to teach them new skills. It’s really rewarding when at the end of a ski session I ask them if they had a good time and almost all of them (99%) say YES!”Doug HomanSkis for Kids Volunteer
“I volunteer for the Skis for Kids program to give back to our community, the love of the outdoors that I have been able to experience and to share that with the next generation. Many of these students have never spent time on skis or on Grand Mesa. To hear them exclaim "This is fun!" and charge down a hill is reward in an of itself. Then to do so on a spectacular winter scene on the Mesa is priceless.”Neal Schwieterman
Join Our Mailing List
Make sure you don’t miss any of the fun activities and programs and places The Nature Connection offers!