Summary: Are you passionate about hiking and curious about what it takes to be a guide? The Nature Connection is hiring backpacking interns to help plan and lead youth backpacking trips in the wilderness. Interns will work under the direction of The Nature Connection Lead Instructors during multiple overnight trips over the course of the summer. Those with a sense of adventure and enthusiasm are encouraged to apply! This is an exciting pathway into the world of backpacking and backcountry guiding.
- Learn essential outdoor skills such as navigation, wilderness camping, backcountry safety and first aid
- Assist in daily food prep, set up and take down of camp, and managing group gear
- Participate in team-building challenges and other group activities
- Help with pre-trip preparation and post-trip clean-up
- Current high school student (under 18); reliable transportation to/from headquarters
- Encouraging attitude
- Ability to adapt quickly and listen to others in a vulnerable, dynamic outdoor environment
Location: Report to The Nature Connection HQ in Hotchkiss
Pathways Opportunity: 2 available internships. Priority given to applicants who submit application by March 17th.
Paid Internship: $200-$300/week stipend depending on experience and trip hours completed. Free outdoor gear use during internship (SUP, mountain bikes, camping equipment). Wilderness First Aid and outdoor safety training provided May 30th-June 2nd.
Trip Opportunities: To be discussed at interview