The Nature Connection eliminates the barriers to getting outside by providing fun, active, and educational outdoor experiences for youth and families in our community.
The Program Manager is responsible for implementing Nature Connection school year and summer programs. This position trains and supports AmeriCorps members, volunteers and participants in the field while working with the Nature Connection’s Director of Programming on ongoing planning and development of programs. This position also oversees Nature Connection’s gear library.
This is a 40-hour per week position. Work schedule may include some weekends, evenings, and holidays.
Reports to: Director of Programs
Classification: Not-for-profit project of the Delta County School District
- Implement outdoor programming and activities year-round. This includes:
- Learn to Bike Program (K-3rd grade)
- Skis for Kids Program (K-12 grades; 4-6th grade focus)
- Middle and high school field trips and programming
- Community Programs
- Summer Camps
- Help develop curriculum, schedules, and assist with planning for all school and family programs in coordination with the Director of Programs
- Improve and update standard operating procedures and other program components in coordination with the Director of Programs.
- Collaborate with partner organizations during programs as needed (Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Colorado Canyons Association and more).
- Take on a role as camp counselor, backpacking leader or other positions when needed during summer camps.
- Assist in management, mentorship and support to summer staff during summer programs.
- Lead volunteer recruitment and communication with volunteers for Learn to Bike and Skis for Kids programs and others as needed.
- Supervise and train AmeriCorps during year-round programs. Complete host site requirements for eeCorps (AmeriCorps) program
- Maintain, inventory and organize gear library (xc skis, mountain bikes, SUPs, archery, and camping gear) for programming with AmeriCorps members. Identify new gear needs and oversee maintenance of gear, and make purchases as needed.
- Manage the Gear to Go program. Field requests and schedule gear and equipment as a resource for teachers and summer staff.
- Collect data, surveys, testimonials, and all necessary program documentation required for grant reporting
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Degree in a related field or experience in the fields of non-profit work, education, recreation or a combination of these
- Experience, comfort and passion for working with culturally and socioeconomically diverse community members
- Experience working with youth ages 6-18 years old
- Outdoor enthusiast: Experience and willingness to participate in outdoor activities such as: cross-country skiing, biking, paddle boarding, camping, backpacking, climbing
- Experience with curriculum and activity development
- Understanding of outdoor equipment and gear
- Proficient at Google Drive applications, as well as social media spaces, graphic design tools, and mass communication services.
- Organizational skills and ability to manage multiple inventories
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a tight-knit team with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in an office environment as well as an outside environment
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral), and ability to interact with the public in a positive, professional and kind manner
- Competence in risk management. First Aid/CPR and/or Wilderness First Aid or Responder certificate preferred (training will be provided)
- Possess a valid Driver’s License
- Bilingual with Spanish proficiency a plus
Location: The Nature Connection Hub, 397 Miner’s Way, Hotchkiss, CO 81419; Programs travel to different schools within Delta County and Olathe
Salary: $40,000-$45,000/year, and benefits including paid time off, health and life insurance, and PERA retirement
To Apply: Please send a resume; cover letter stating why you are interested in the position and what experiences you have had that lend themselves to the position description; and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org