Outdoor Educator and Outreach Coordinator
The Nature Connection eliminates the barriers to getting outside by providing fun, active, and educational outdoor experiences for youth and families in our community.
The Nature Connection is looking for a motivated bilingual individual to join our team as a lead educator for our school-year programs and outreach coordinator for our family and community events. During the school year, this position will be the lead educator for outdoor programs serving kindergarten through high school students in Delta County and Olathe . This position is dynamic and evolving; some of the tasks could include: biking, cross-country skiing, climbing and managing outdoor gear. In addition, this person will work throughout the year to develop community partnerships and implement family and community events in Delta and Olathe.
This is a 40-hour per week position. Work schedule may include some weekends, evenings, and holidays.
Reports to: Director of Programs
Classification: Not-for-profit project of the Delta County School District, Hotchkiss, Colorado; K-12 and community outdoor education
School Year Program:
- Teach kindergarten through third-grade students how to ride a bike. Facilitate third-grade field trips on local mountain bike trails.
- Teach fourth and sixth grade students how to cross-country ski. Introduce them to concepts of winter ecology and snow science.
- Assist with the high school rafting program on the Gunnison River.
- Support the design of our Rocks and Ropes program which includes a low-ropes course.
- Ensure high quality, safe and consistent outdoor programs for a diverse population of students.
- Oversee the health and wellness of program participants with proper first aid and safety.
- Demonstrate proper and safe use of outdoor equipment and gear.
- Transport gear (often by trailer hauling) throughout Delta County and Olathe.
- Support Community Pop-Ups gear lending days. This currently includes cross-country ski lending on Grand Mesa; stand-up paddle boarding at Sweitzer Lake.
- Implement once weekly community climbing nights on our climbing wall.
- Operate the mobile wall climbing events at community festivals (ie: Heritage Days, Cherry Days, etc). Training is provided.
- Work with current organizational partners and develop new partnerships with community organizations that serve to get kids and families outside.
- Help facilitate community conversations in Delta and Olathe to understand the barriers families face to get outside.
- Design and implement new community events that speak to the needs and desires of the Delta and Olathe communities.
- Help maintain our fleet of gear including cross-country skis, mountain bikes, camping gear, and SUPs.
- Maintain mobile wall and Cedaredge Climbing Wall to the state standards and specifications. This includes maintenance, inspections, training staff and interns. Training provided.
- Provide superior client service to all participants, parents/families, staff, volunteers and vendors.
- Collaborate with NC Staff to promote programs on social media.
- Provide updates and reports as needed.
- Minimum of two years experience in formal/informal outdoor education, childcare or outdoor recreation industry.
- Experience working with youth ages 6-18 years old.
- Bilingual with Spanish proficiency.
- Self starter and problem solver with excellent organizational skills
- Outdoor enthusiast: Experience with outdoor sports like mountain biking, climbing, and cross-country skiing.
- Understanding of outdoor equipment.
- Excellent organization, leadership and communication skills (written and oral), interpersonal skills, computer literacy including social media.
- Ability to work well in an office environment as well as an outside environment.
- Attention to detail and safety.
- Ability to interact with the public in a positive, professional and kind manner.
- Effective facilitation, conflict resolution, team building and presentation skills.
- Physical demands: standing, walking and/or physically active outdoors for 5+ hours outside, must be able to pass a swim test, routinely lift 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work flexible hours, and weekends.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to obtain school district minibus license. Trailer hauling and winter driving skills necessary for position. Trailer hauling training provided.
- First Aid/CPR certificate preferred
Location: The Nature Connection Hub, 397 Bulldog Street Hotchkiss, CO 81419; Programs travel to different schools within Delta County and Olathe
Start Date: August preferred; later start date negotiable
To Apply: Please send a resume; cover letter stating why you are interested in the position and what experiences you have had that lend themselves to the position description; and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org