The Nature Connection is the hub of environmental education for Delta County and Olathe, and is supported by the Delta County School District. Our program began in 2018 and is supported by Great Outdoors Colorado and its Inspire Initiative program.
We are in the process of developing recreational installations throughout the region, and launching summer camps and internships in Hotchkiss, Cedaredge, Delta and Olathe.
The support of all these partners allows The Nature Connection to invest in the future of our students and community while promoting enjoyment and conservation of our amazing local natural resources.
Looking to the Future
- Our K-12 curriculum-based education programs take kids to local public lands to enjoy hands-on science and outdoor skill instruction.
- Our Skis for Kids program offers cross-country ski rentals and winter ecology lessons for schools and youth groups.
- We’re finalizing a new pump track and mountain bike trails near The Nature Connection building in Hotchkiss, for beginner and intermediate mountain biking.
- We are embarking on the next phase of our “place development” and by 2021, we will add a pump track, an archery range, short connecting trails, a Storywalk™ trail walk, and a fitness trail to places throughout our region.
- Schools in Delta County and Olathe have seen upgrades such as climbing boulders, shade sails, school gardens, Weatherport structures, seating areas and more.
- Our gear library includes mountain bikes, camping and backpacking equipment, kayaks and stand up paddle boards! This equipment will be used throughout the summer in camps and programs.
- We plan to expand our gear use. Until then, check out our summer camps and programs for your chance to use the gear and connect to the outdoors.
- We are hosting summer camps and internships throughout our region, and looking for them to grow over the next 3 years.