Our mission is to break down the barriers to getting outside for kids and families.
We do this through:
- Creating access to outdoor gear that is often prohibitively expensive
- Providing programs in schools that get kids active, moving and building confidence
- Empowering families with programs throughout the year so they can to weave a love for the outdoors into the fabric of their lives
Kids & families trust The Nature Connection to provide high-quality, ongoing, school-based and summer programs that develop outdoor skills, a curiosity for nature and a love for exploring the “best backyard in the world.”
To achieve our mission, we are developing:
The support of all our partners allows The Nature Connection to invest in the future of our students and community while promoting enjoyment and conservation of the best backyard in the world!
Examples of what we do:
- K-12 school year programs that take kids to local public lands to enjoy hands-on science and outdoor experiences
- Low cost summer camps in all of our communities focused on providing formative outdoor experiences for ALL children
- Skis for Kids program offers cross-country ski lending and winter ecology for local schools and youth groups.
- Learn to Bike programs at local elementary schools and on mountain bike trails near The Nature Connection building in Hotchkiss and Confluence Park in Delta.
- Family Events like paddle board lending, XC ski lending and more that help families get outside in all seasons
- Support schools in building outdoor classrooms and resources for teaching outside
- Our gear library includes mountain bikes, camping and backpacking equipment, kayaks and stand up paddle boards! This equipment is used in The Nature Connection camps and offered to teachers for outdoor programs year-round.
- We offer paid jobs for young people in camps, trail crews and internships throughout Delta County.