Trail Crew Lead
Responsibilities include ensuring the success of trail construction projects at The Nature Connection headquarters in Hotchkiss as well as projects around Delta County. Leaders will work alongside, train and supervise the “Wilder Bunch” a trail crew made up of high school students (15-18 year olds) in building singletrack mountain biking and hiking trails. Applicants with a positive attitude and excited about introducing kids to the love of trail sports and the responsible stewardship of singletrack are highly encouraged to apply. Position requires prior trail crew experience (2 seasons preferred) attention to detail, experience coaching or mentoring youth and skills in carpentry and physical labor. Additionally, position requires the ability to lift 50 lbs unassisted and 100 lbs assisted, safely operate hand tools, drive a 4×4 truck and trailer as well as do manual labor in hot conditions.
- 18 and older
- Drivers license with clean record
- Trail crew experience
- S212 Chainsaw Training and/or Forest Service Crosscut Certification
- Wilderness First Aid, CPR or other medical training
- Experience working for or with the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, or National Park Service
- Experience in tool and equipment maintenance (sharpening, sanding, oiling, re-handling)
- Experience on 4WD roads in remote areas
Location: The Nature Connection, Hotchkiss hub
2 available job openings
Compensation & Dates: $12-$18 per hour depending on experience, responsibilities and qualifications. Schedule can be negotiated with The Nature Connection Leadership but typically is 40 hour weeks (either four 10 hour days or five 8 hour days) with training starting as soon as possible (mid-May). Management of student trail crew for 5 weeks in June-Early July.
- Resume with cover letter to email@example.com
- Three references
- Top candidates will be selected for an interview by The Nature Connection Leadership Team