Generation Wild Summer Lead
Job Summary: Are you looking to spend your summer outside helping kids connect with nature? The Generation Wild Lead is a contributing member of The Nature Connection’s (The Nature Connection) summer programs offered in Hotchkiss and Delta. Program assistance in Cedaredge and Olathe may also be necessary. Successful applicants will serve as the on-site camp director during the summer session (June-July-August) and oversee high school interns and volunteers under the supervision of The Nature Connection Leadership Team. The Generation Wild Lead will help develop active, experiential outdoor education programs that help children develop a connection to nature, make positive relationships and build confidence in outdoor sports.
Responsibilities: Implement and manage the day-to-day operations for the 8-week summer outdoor day camp for children ages 7-14. This includes developing and leading outdoor activities, scheduling and coordinating offsite trips, and supervising high school camp interns. Outdoor program components include, but not limited to mountain biking, stand-up paddleboarding, swimming, hiking, archery, overnight campout, nature focused activities, crafts, team building games.
The Generation Wild Lead will have the following responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Ensure high quality, safe and consistent outdoor programs for a diverse population of students
- Oversee the health and wellness of camp participants including proper sanitation and first aid
- Demonstrate proper and safe use of outdoor equipment and gear
- Provide superior client service to all campers, parents/families, staff, volunteers and vendors
- Collaborate with The Nature Connection Leadership Team to promote programs on social media
- Implement GOCO surveys to youth ages 11 and up
- Ensure the prompt handling of all financial obligations
- Provide The Nature Connection Leadership Team with updates and reports as needed
- Current college student; or a minimum of two years experience in formal/informal outdoor education, childcare or outdoor recreation industry
- Self starter and problem solver with excellent organizational skills
- Outdoor enthusiast: Experience with outdoor sports like mountain biking, paddling, swimming and hiking. Experience teaching or mentoring others in outdoor sports is preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to obtain school district minibus license
- Social media, marketing, general computer skills
- First Aid/CPR certificate preferred
- Proven ability to grow participation in youth camp program, outdoor and environmental education, recreation administration or similar area of expertise
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; effective facilitation, conflict resolution, team building and presentation skills. Must be able to work with people of all ages and physical abilities
- Physical demands: standing, walking and/or physically active outdoors for 5+ hours outside, must be able to pass a swim test, routinely lift 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work flexible hours, occasional weekend, and 1-2 overnights
- Minimum age: 18 years
Location: Bill Heddles Recreation Center; 531 Palmer Street Delta, CO 81416 – AND – The Nature Connection Headquarters, 397 Bulldog Street Hotchkiss, CO 81419
Effective Date: Open until filled; Start date tentatively June 1, 2020
Positions: Two positions available at each site
Compensation: Hourly: $15-$20/hour depending on experience.
Time: 36-40 hours/week tentatively from June 1 through mid August 2020 to be negotiated with the Leadership Team. Typical schedule will be Monday – Thursday, 8am-5pm with some onsite prep time required on Fridays to prepare for programs.
- Resume with cover letter to email@example.com
- Three references
- Top candidates will be selected for an interview by The Nature Connection Leadership Team