Youth Outdoor Network
What is the ‘Youth Outdoor Network’?
The Nature Connection works in conjunction with the US Forest Service, the Western Slope Conservation Center, the Delta and Montrose County School Districts, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Bureau of Land Management and many other partners to create a ‘Youth Outdoor Network’ within high schools in Hotchkiss, Paonia, Delta, Cedaredge, and Olathe. The Youth Outdoor Network provides high school youth with an opportunity to understand and enter into the natural resource sector job market.
Creating opportunity to inspire the next generation
Young people receive tailored learning opportunities to encourage their interests and provide them with chances to ‘test’ jobs at a young age in hopes of inspiring their future career paths. The Youth Outdoor Network provides networking opportunities between students and professionals in the natural resource sector and provides exciting outdoor field trips that incorporate hands-on learning experiences.
WANT TO GET INVOLVED?
- Matt Spencer – TNC YON Coordinator -
- Jim Frazier – Paonia High School Liaison -
- Sarah Marshall – Hotchkiss High School Liaison -
- Kevin Dunbar – Cedaredge High School Liaison -
- Ben Graves – Delta High School Liaison -
- Aaron Wilcox – Olathe High School Liaison -
For more information, please contact Matt Spencer, Youth Outdoor Network Coordinator, at .
Student Information & Job Resources
- Summer Internship Opportunities
- A How-To Guide For Getting a Job in the Natural Resource Sector
- Service Opportunities
- CPW Info Sheet
- Examples of Opportunities in Natural Resources
- Fire Fighting Course Info
- How to Create a Government Resume
- Job sources database
- How to Get Started as a River Guide
The Nature Connection would like to thank Partners in the Outdoors and Colorado Parks and Recreation Association in partnership with Colorado Parks and Wildlife as well as GOCO (Great Outdoors Colorado) for their grant support of this project. We would also like to thank our partners for their assistance.