During the school year, The Nature Connection offers programs through Delta County and Olathe schools. Here’s what we’re up to this fall:
- We’re piloting a “Gear To Go” program to lend gear to teachers who want to get their classes outside. So far a handful of outdoor recreation-oriented classes have used our gear for outdoor adventures, including Hotchkiss High freshman students who enjoyed riding our mountain bikes on the newly-established pump track and trails near the North Fork pool.
- In mid-August, we took Paonia 7th graders for an overnight camp-out at Horse Ranch Park; they hiked and built their leadership skills through team-building scenarios.
- In late August, Grand Mesa Choice Academy students got “out” on our stand-up paddleboards before they went “in” to their semester of classroom studies.
- From late August through September, Delta County 5th graders are enjoying “Explore Your Park” days at Sweitzer Lake State Park. Students get to experience canoeing, stand-up paddleboarding, archery, fishing and a predator/prey game called Hooks and Ladders.
- Cottonwood Days will take place in September for 6th graders in the Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area, emphasizing environmental sciences and hands-on learning stations including fly-tying and fish shocking.
- TNC students will be involved with stewardship projects during National Public Lands Day on September 29th.
- In September and October, our fantastic partner Colorado Canyons Association will be providing raft trips through their newly-launched river outfitting program. Delta County and Olathe 9th grade students as well as members of the Youth Outdoors Network will take day and overnight river trips to learn about National Conservation Areas and develop as leaders on the river.
Fly Fishing 101
Learn the basics of fly fishing
- Open to 6th - 8th grade
- $5 registration fee
- Transportation & fishing gear included
- For all details download the flyer
This winter, we'll be offering cross-country ski outings through our Skis for Kids program -- hope for snow and stay posted for details in late autumn.